By that, I mean that I wanted to see what the bag was going to look like before I committed to using the fabrics for specific elements.
For instance, I only had one yard of the Polar Party fabric, which did not fully match the requirement for either the main or contrast fabric as dictated by the PT pattern. So from the beginning, I knew I had to make some decisions as to how to use this fabric to its best advantage. Colleen had located a coordinating black and white floral/stripe fabric from her stash, but this too was not in a sufficient quantity to meet my needs. No matter. I had already decided that I wanted a somewhat funky interior, so using up to four different fabrics for the lining and pockets would not be an issue.
In the meantime, with the help of PaintShop Pro, TechieMe came up with some images of how the two fabrics that I had could be used to make the bag. I actually came up with four different combinations, but I finally settled on this one (although in the end, I had enough of the Polar Party fabric that I didn't have to run the black floral all the way up the sides):
|CG image of what my bag might look like, front and back...|