|Sheep mascot wearing cool shades...|
Well, last year, on a particularly rough boat ride on Lake Okanagan, I think — I believe — my white visor got tossed out into the wild waters. I am not 100% sure that's what happened, but at some point during that holiday, I could no longer find it.
I do have another, but while browsing online for one earlier this year, I saw this project for a visor that attaches to your sunglasses (or glasses) and thought, how neat!
This is from the blog of Denise Clason Studios (link at end of post), dating back to 2013. She provides a pattern. I don't know where/when the origin of the visor itself goes back to, as it was (and still is) a mass produced item.
After making this one more or less according to the instructions, I found myself wishing the brim could be longer.
|The elastic opening may need to be smaller if your frames are the metal/wire type...|
I knew, however, that there is a limit to how much it could be extended, due to weight, balance and field of vision issues.
Still, I wanted to experiment and make a version with a longer brim. So I did. Here it is with my carnival plush dog as the model.
|My "larger brim" version of the sunglasses visor...|
Apparently there are some folks out there who will not "stoop" to wearing a visor, for various reasons (none of which I will enumerate here). Having long been converted to the visor world, however, I find this to be very handy, particularly when the sun is low on the horizon.
|Top fabric is from my Spoonflower Canadiana collection...|
The brim on my version extends about 3/4" longer than the original. Anything more and it would likely impede my line of sight.
|My customized pattern piece in comparison with original...|
I modeled my template after a ball cap brim, so the shape is also slightly different.
|The bottom fabric seemed like an appropriate choice for this project...|
The elastic support loops need to be adjusted for the type of glasses that you wear. I've seen manufactured versions of this visor with two different elastic supports: a smaller one for skinny wire frames and a larger one for wider plastic frames. I tend to wear mostly Ray Ban Wayfarer style sunglasses so the setup that you see here with the wide elastic works for me.
As you might imagine, this is not a difficult thing to make. The trickiest part was getting the ends of the binding to behave. I actually don't like how the binding is folded at the corners, but haven't been concerned enough to figure out a better way. (Maybe no binding at all.)
The two pieces of fabric were interfaced. Because of the quilting involved, I used a piece of fleece as my "batting".
|Quilting and binding are part of this project...|
There is one extra step in the whole process if you plan on using my template (which can be downloaded here). After the binding was attached, I had to sew the elastic supports down in order to lift the visor higher.
|Run a line of stitching along the base of the elastic supports to keep them pointed downwards...|
If you don't do this, the brim will drop down into your field of vision. That little "fix" aside, this customized version works for me. It provides a bit more coverage without adding too much heft. I've worn it while biking in the evenings and it takes the edge off the glare of the setting sun.
If you scout around, you'll likely find other DIYs for similar visors, but here is the link to Denise's original tutorial that I followed.
This is one of those rare unisex gift ideas (as long as the recipient is not adverse to visors), as well as a good project for using up scraps. It also travels well, since it's flat when not attached to a pair of glasses.