|Three metres of waxcloth for $3!|
I want to talk about scoring the three metres of discontinued waxcloth (really wide, too: 54 inches) that you see here, for a grand total of $3.15! At regular price, it would have been $13.62... not that I would have paid that because I wouldn't have purchased it. I have never sewn with waxcloth before, so until I saw this "too good to pass up" dollar per metre price, it really hadn't occurred to me to consider crafting with it.
Well, maybe that's not entirely true. Using some sort of waterproof material had always been in the back of my mind for my passport organizer and toiletry case projects, but I didn't want to commit.
But now that I have these funky supplies on hand — which were so cheap as to be throwaway — I think I'll take the plunge and make something out of waxcloth.
So what exactly is this stuff? Apparently it's "whatever" material (cotton, canvas, etc.) that's been treated with paraffin wax prior to being woven into a fabric. It's essentially a water-proofing technique from the old days. It has a bit of a vinyl-ly feel, but is thin enough that I don't think it'll be difficult to work with. The online Oxford dictionary defines waxcloth as "cloth that is impregnated with oil for covering floors and tables; oilcloth". To be honest, I'm a bit fuzzy as I have seen waxcloth/oilcloth and laminated cottons described to the point where I'm not exactly sure what I have... other than that the store labelled what I bought as "waxcloth". (Although it's not a fabric store and they also had clear vinyls hanging on the same racks.)
Anyway, here it is sewn together.
It was easy to sew and did not pose any problems. Here I've picked open one of the seams to show what will be an issue, however: mistakes. They may wind up being costly because stitching holes will not close up like with regular fabric (and in fact, may act as "perforation points").
Here is the item turned right side out to show the finished seam. I used a longer stitch length than normal to prevent the seam from being pulled apart easily (i.e., the "perforation" thing again).
And finally, I decided to sew on the right side of the fabric to see if I could "feel" any appreciable difference and am happy to report that I had no issues again. The material fed perfectly fine without using a special presser foot.
If you're now similarly inspired, this laminated toiletry travel bag from Sew4Home (another great sewing resource, by the way) might be a good starter project.