|Finally! I can do something with my Pride & Prejudice fabric swatches!|
As soon as I finished it, I had a lightbulb pop on above my head: this is just about the perfect project for Spoonflower swatches!
Each eight inch by eight inch Spoonflower swatch yields enough fabric for one side of the little coin purse (i.e., the body panel as well as the top band). So you can make the whole thing out of four swatches, or just use two and find some scraps from your stash for the lining.
As you can see from the picture at the top of the this post, the main body piece fits quite nicely on one swatch, leaving enough room for one "waistband" piece. Here are three of my swatches all cut up and ready to go...
|All I need to add is some fabric for the main lining...|
To address the complaints I had about the original project, for this second effort, I applied my interfacing just short of a quarter inch seam allowance. (I made these over two days and for the second one, I did not have to refer back to the instructions. If you are somewhat experienced, it is quite easy to figure out this pattern on your own.)
|White side of my Pride & Prejudice themed Key Keeper Coin Purse...|
The decreased seam allowance made this little guy just a tad bigger than the first, which is a good thing. (It is still rather smallish and five years ago, may have accommodated most cell phones, but probably not now!)
|Grey side of my Pride & Prejudice themed Key Keeper Coin Purse...|
The interior was a lot less bulky this time with the reduced interfacing as well as the smaller seam allowance.
|Interior view... funny how these look like old fashioned black and white photos!|
And here is the other side of the interior:
|Interior view, opposite side...|
Here is a comparison of the two so you can see the slight difference in size. In either one, the opening is actually somewhat narrow; it's highly questionable whether or not you can fit your hand into it!
|Feel free to use a 1/4" seam allowance on this project to maximize size!|
Here is another done up in my Sunshine Floral fabric.
|eSheep Designs' Spoonflower fabric swatch Sunshine Floral on White...|
For this one, I made another change and used a couple of zipper tabs on either end of the zipper to reduce the bulk even further.
|eSheep Designs' Spoonflower fabric Sunshine Floral on Mustard...|
When I made these, like many others have done before me, I omitted the interior pocket/divider. It's really too small of a item to have usable pockets.
On this last one, I finally remembered to add my little fabric label!
I totally changed up how I sewed together this one, believing that the way I ultimately did it is way easier than however it was described in Amy Butler's book. (Speaking of book, I finally got inspired by a design found in one! That inspiration has evolved into a new pattern that I will be releasing in January. Stay tuned!)
And as this will be my last post of the year, I would like to thank my little group of supporters who have made 2015 memorable and rewarding for me. Wishes of health and happiness to all!